Octopath Traveler

Everything Ninty!!

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

Marilincarnation
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Re: Octopath Traveler

Post by Marilincarnation » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:53 am

I’ll comment in depth on the individual stories when I finish them, but of the 3 I’ve done, Cyrus’s was barely interesting from beginning to end, except for his chapter 2.

I have to say, I totally nuked Cyrus and Tressa’s final bosses. Like, to the point where I was like “...is there another boss after this?” This isn’t a problem, really, because being powerful in this game is just so satisfying.

Marilincarnation
Supermod

Post by Marilincarnation » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:23 pm

I finished all Chapter 4’s, finally. Glad I got time to do that in the midst of a busy move and such.

I liked every story except Cyrus. Really enjoyed H’aanit, Olberic, Primrose, and Alfyn.

Marilincarnation
Supermod

Post by Marilincarnation » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:31 pm

you've gotta be kidding me, there's no save point before the endgame boss? what the hell

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:17 pm

I STARTED THIS GAME FINALLY IT'S AWESOME

H'aanit is awesome also

e: and also I watched Squeege play a little bit--he started with Prim so I started on the other end of the starting map--and I am definitely changing the dialogue language for her bc her Chapter 1 really affected me.
Spoiler.
The boss validated basically my entire life tho
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Marilincarnation
Supermod

Post by Marilincarnation » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:44 am

just gonna drop this here

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:29 pm

Marilink wrote:I’m so glad to see a big-budget, major-release JRPG with a turn-based battle system.
It's more of a mid-budget release, it certainly isn't getting the resources of a mainline Final Fantasy or even Dragon Quest/Persona. It's too bad because I'd really like a new turn-based JRPG franchise with a big budget to pop up. Lost Odyssey is the newest good one I can think of...

steeze

Post by steeze » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:08 am

Dude Lost Odyssey came out ten years ago. Has it really been that long since we've been blessed with a JRPG that isn't mainline with a big budget?

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:20 am

steeze wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:08 am
Dude Lost Odyssey came out ten years ago. Has it really been that long since we've been blessed with a JRPG that isn't mainline with a big budget?
Of the turn-based variety, outside of established franchises? Yes, at least for home consoles. There's been some good ones for handhelds which seem to have big budgets relative to the systems they're on, I guess.

Marilincarnation
Supermod

Post by Marilincarnation » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:30 am

I guess I'm failing to see how Octopath doesn't meet your criteria, IRHP. It's on a major console and is the size/length/depth/price of a major release. What more do you need?

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:42 am

Everything can be on a major console these days, it's sort of a meaningless statement at this point. I never questioned its size or length, which I don't even think are necessarily factors affected much by budget, which is what I really mostly posted about. It seems to have some depth to it, at least in terms of gameplay, but I've read plenty against the story (I certainly didn't care for it based on the demo). Price is also sort of irrelevant.

It's just not that impressive to me, and I attribute a lot of that to its budget holding it back. I'd really like to see Square go all-out with a new turn-based JRPG, and that's not what they did with Octopath Traveler. I'm not trying to say it's a bad game, there's plenty of people positive about it (I can at least say it has a good OST). Of course, I'm not sure Square can still make JRPGs I'm interested in no matter what. As much as I dislike that FFXV isn't turn-based, it wouldn't magically make it a good game, and you know they put all their resources into it.

steeze

Post by steeze » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:10 am

I like turn based games but I mean I wasn't about to turn down an action RPG gameplay in a square forged world. I really enjoyed my time in FFXV. There I said it. Even though it felt incomplete, that made me like it even more. The last part obviously wasn't that great but whatever.

I felt like Noctis, Gladiolus, Prompto, and Ignis were normal people who were just out living their lives despite the circumstance, trying to do their best. They didn't really feel like characters someone wrote into a video game they kind of just came alive in their own ways.

Sometimes I can get really far in a Final Fantasy game and then just completely lose interest for a few months. Come back, maybe beat it finally but by then I'm just over it. Final Fantasy XIII was like taking three Benadryl at 10 pm and trying to stay awake until 2. If I can't stay engaged, I will fall asleep.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:42 pm

Size and length are definitely factors affected by budget. Shiny graphics aren't the only thing that cost money.

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:27 pm

^^ Well, I'm glad you enjoyed FFXV. I had some interest in it when it was Versus XIII, but what it eventually became isn't something I recognize as being a proper mainline Final Fantasy game, and doesn't seem good to me on any level, personally.

I agree that without feeling engaged you'll falling asleep, but action gameplay isn't inherently any more engaging than turn-based gamdplay, if you turn your brain off while mashing then you're still not properly engaged. Most action games do that to me. I enjoy many ARPGs btw.
I am nobody wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:42 pm
Size and length are definitely factors affected by budget. Shiny graphics aren't the only thing that cost money.
They can be, usually are to some degree, but that's why I said they aren't "necessarily" affected. When you scale up that's when budget is much more a factor by a significant msrgin. I mean, I could make a terrible 1000 hour RPG with an immense world in a week on no budget, but making a Final Fantasy which lasts a fraction of that time and ends up being a much smaller world still requires a massive budget. Octopath Traveler is certainly no RPG Maker game, but it's not Final Fantasy XIV either.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:45 pm

FF XIV is a very large and very long game. I don't really see your point - you can make a giant RPG Maker game cheaply, sure, but for any reasonable developer, making more of a game always costs more money. That's why every post mortem talks about all the content they had to cut because of time or budget.

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:48 pm

My point was that it isn't necessarily a sign of a big budget to have a long game. Octopath has a ~58 hour main campaign while, say, FFXV's is only ~27 hours, less than half of that. ML saying it is a long game to support the notion that its budget was big doesn't pan out because size doesn't necessarily correlate to budget.

It costs more to make more of something relative to what you're making, yes. However, Octopath could double its content which is already double that of FFXV and still cost a fraction of what it took to make the latter. The costs scale disproportionately.

steeze

Post by steeze » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:01 pm

The downtime and repetition in turn based games are what gets me. When I say engaging I don't mean like interest in game mechanics or story. More of the "break" that some turn-based games offer. Whether it be a victory screen or just your basic attack sequence. Relaxed gameplay, I would call it. That's what makes it hard for me to beat those games. I'm fueled by adrenaline. Pokemon is always one that puts me to sleep. 30 minutes of that and it's lights out.

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:20 pm

Yeah, I understand what you mean. Pokemon is definitely a good way to knock out, but I think its because as adults they're pretty easy and predictable games, as kids they offered more of a sense of adventure (at least to me). Doesn't help that the games haven't had a proper rival since GB.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:32 pm

Given the way the Travelers go through their gameplay.... I think it's safe to say that "Psychopath Traveler" is a good way to describe the game.

Return to “Nintendo Main”