Octopath Traveler

Everything Ninty!!

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

monstrman

Re: Octopath Traveler

Post by monstrman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:52 pm

Cyrus/ophilia pair once you get their divine skills just

insanely strong

Nuking enemies four times with his spells is more satisfying than any other character itg

Also Olberic has bar none the biggest single target damage itg, and H'aanit gets extra turns and extra hits

I would probably run Olberic if I didn't like Therion so much.

Auron

Post by Auron » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:37 pm

So I ended up starting with H'aanit. I had played the first demo a while back and since that started with Olberic and Primrose, I wanted to start with someone else. I figured it would be a good idea to start with a physical damage dealer (because I would be stuck with them) and just thought that a hunter would be the best option. The rest of my party is Ophelia, Cyrus, and whoever I need to do the story for.

Absolutely loving the art style, battle system, music, and pretty much everything else about the game. My only gripe so far has been stated already: the lack of character interaction throughout the (early parts of) the game. At this point I really think that the Final Fantasy series would highly benefit from this sort of return to its roots for its next numbered installment.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:03 pm

Just some musing on jobs/skills/path actions:
Spoiler.
-Maybe I just haven't given it a fair-shot, but Primrose and Ophelia's Guide/Summon just seems like a worse version of H'aanit's Beast Lore. I haven't used Olberic's Guard ability yet either. So I'm thinking Beast Lore>Concoct>Free Scan>Free Money>those three
-Merchant is a really good support class. You've got Rest to never run out of SP, Give BP to give BP to whoever else needs it...and its final skill is BP Saver which (no surprise) is insanely good if a Scholar has it equipped. Hell I imagine Warrior would appreciate it too for the cheap Level Slashes. edit: and of course, cleric's Heal More.
Last edited by X-3 on Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilink » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:24 pm

I’ve been enjoying the Travel Banter a lot. It would be cool to have the stories interconnect more, but I guess I just...don’t really need that? I’m just liking the eight stories on their own.

Also, I just unlocked my first secondary job. A whole world just opened up to me. The Support Skill system suddenly got a whole lot deeper than I anticipated.

Auron

Post by Auron » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:28 pm

X-3 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:03 pm
Just some musing on jobs/skills/path actions:
Spoiler.
-Maybe I just haven't given it a fair-shot, but Primrose and Ophelia's Guide/Summon just seems like a worse version of H'aanit's Beast Lore. I haven't used Olberic's Guard ability yet either. So I'm thinking Beast Lore>Concoct>Free Scan>Free Money>those three
-Merchant is a really good support class. You've got Rest to never run out of SP, Give BP to give BP to whoever else needs it...and its final skill is BP Saver which (no surprise) is insanely good if a Scholar has it equipped. Hell I imagine Warrior would appreciate it too for the cheap Level Slashes. edit: and of course, cleric's Heal More.
I feel like Ophilia is stupid good as a merchant. Outside of healing and occasionally whacking things with her staff, having infinite SP and being able to give her BP to other characters (warrior H'aanit hits so god damn hard) on turns where she doesn't need to heal is amazing. Although I suppose if I felt I really needed the SP on Cyrus, I could make Tressa a cleric and double up on merchants.

This game is so god damn flexible.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:36 pm

Hey, if anyone wants to do some pre-planning (or mid-game planning) of their Octopath party, I made this spreadsheet that you can use:

Clickity Click

The purpose of it is mostly to figure out what Support Skills you want equipped on your characters, but it can be a handy reference guide as well. Download it to your Google Drive for personal use.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:15 pm

I just got gifted this and i'm very excited

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:18 pm

Don't overlook Sidestep for Merchants, either. With SP saver and some careful BP usage, it's nearly an immunity to physical attacks for 5 SP.

I'm probably going to make Ophilia and Cyrus Dancers for the SP regen. Considering the same for Tressa since she's already at 411 evasion and would get so many free attacks out of Eye for an Eye, but I'll probably have to go with physical attacker classes for her and Primrose to close out my weapons gaps. Not having axes or longswords has been really annoying in a few fights.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:59 pm

Guys, Warrior H’aanit just obliterates things.

Also, equipping her with Eye for an Eye makes a huge difference in Provoke encounters. She counterattacks personally, which is excellent.

Auron

Post by Auron » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:42 pm

You are the first official member of my Warrior H'aanit fan club.

Is anyone else besides me struggling mightily with the absolute lack of direction in side quests?

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:52 pm

The sidequests are pretty crap. Seems like they almost all amount to "use path action X on NPC Y."

Auron

Post by Auron » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:57 pm

One of the ones I actually managed to do gave me a +500 HP accessor so there has to be value in doing them, but they are so horrendously implemented. It is now my only major gripe about the game.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:34 pm

I do the side quests purely for money and rewards. They’re the only cut scenes in the game that I skip, though not all of them. Idk, I don’t find them offensive, but they’re certainly not what keeps me coming back to the game.

Unrelated: Hunter Tressa is adorable

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:37 pm

I actually kind of like the side-quests because of the lack of direction. You connect the dots between often-distant NPCs while you're on your travels.

I'm also going Warrior H'aanit because It Just Works. (but not quite as well as a Scholar blowing things up)

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:59 pm

I’m also doing Merchant Therion and liking it. Having both Steal and Collect paired with Incidental Attack and Snatch is pretty lucrative. I can also Rest, then donate both SP and BP to my party (i.e. H’aanit). Pretty slick.

^I also don’t mind the lack of direction for side quests, that’s kind of the thing that’s keeping them somewhat interesting for me. But as soon as I put the pieces together, I usually just collect my reward and don’t think twice about it.

Auron

Post by Auron » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:21 am

I'm still very much experimenting, but I'm finding Apothecary Therion is not bad for my group. He's already got decent support with Steal SP and Share SP, so I figured I could use the extra weapon skill coverage in my party. Seems to be working pretty well, at least through Chapter 2.

Without even realizing it I had kind of settled on a static party of H'aanit, Ophilia, Cyrus and Therion, so now going through the other four's Chapter 2 stories is both easy (the three I keep are untouchable) and annoying (the one I sub is is massively under leveled and extremely fragile).

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:01 am

How do you have subclasses already? I'm halfway through the second chapters and don't even have a divine skill yet.

Auron

Post by Auron » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:27 am

In the second area of every zone there are shrines that you can visit to unlock secondary classes. You don't need to fight anything to unlock them, so you can just run right there with Cyrus's decrease encounter ability and Ophilia's escape from battle ability. The marker on the map kind of looks like a boat with 4 pillars coming out of it.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:45 am

Derp. I was just assuming you got them after maxing out a regular class.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:17 pm

^I thought the same thing, but then I stumbled upon the Shrine that gives the Apothecary class, and I immediately scoured the other zones for the other shrines.

Return to “Nintendo Main”