New Switch model coming next year?

Everything Ninty!!

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

VG_Addict

New Switch model coming next year?

Post by VG_Addict » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:21 pm

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-p ... 1538629322

What do you hope to see in the new model if it's real?

Sim Kid

Re: New Switch model coming next year?

Post by Sim Kid » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:43 pm

Battery life?

steeze

Post by steeze » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:18 am

Rubber Everything.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:03 pm

I haven't run into problems as a casual user but I'm hoping a new model is maybe a bit sturdier for people who use their switch a lot. brother-in-law had to get his replaced within a year of owning it even though it never really took any physical hits. luckily nintendo were pretty cool about replacing it

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:14 am

Paywall to read the story on WJ. I'm not surprised sales are waning. They're not making any big releases. Kind of depressing.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

steeze

Post by steeze » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:39 am

I'd also like to see some more big releases^

One thing Nintendo has going for it is their wide range of memorable characters. Smash Brothers on the horizon should remind us of that more than anything. Metroid Prime is AWOL with some dusty logo the only indication it exists. Why aren't they heading their fan base when they know that everyone and their mother wants a new F-Zero game.

If you were a game developer wouldn't you want to remake a classic like Earthbound? Forgetting that there are over 60 characters in smash they could draw inspiration from as a popular Nintendo character deserving of a revival or solo title, where are some new originals? Where is the next generation of original console exclusive games with a strong lead? Even if you have to have a new take on an old character.

Look at a series revival like God of War. I've played most of the previous god of war titles with two exceptions but let me tell you they reinvented Kratos and brought him into an entirely new world and it worked.

Like why not make a StarFox game with Falco as the lead before he joined the Starfox team and him growing up on Corneria. Why not step out of the Arwing and make it a drivable vehicle like a banshee in Halo. (just spitballing) There are so many roads to go down for them and I feel like they just never do. They're hellbent on keeping the same series but polishing them up to be a little tiny bit different. I just feel like for a company who prides themselves on their imagination and innovation into how we play games there's a lack of creativity and support of developing innovative titles.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:01 pm

steeze wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:39 am
I just feel like for a company who prides themselves on their imagination and innovation into how we play games there's a lack of creativity and support of developing innovative titles.

Nintendo publishes quite a bit of new IPs all the time.

Nobody buys them.

They buy Mario Kart and Smash Bros by the truckload instead, or start shifting goalposts and say they don't bount... but games that're published by Nintendo (ie, Pokémon and Fire Emblem) are somehow treated as if they're first party.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:12 pm

Sim Kid wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:01 pm
steeze wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:39 am
I just feel like for a company who prides themselves on their imagination and innovation into how we play games there's a lack of creativity and support of developing innovative titles.

Nintendo publishes quite a bit of new IPs all the time.

Nobody buys them.

They buy Mario Kart and Smash Bros by the truckload instead, or start shifting goalposts and say they don't bount... but games that're published by Nintendo (ie, Pokémon and Fire Emblem) are somehow treated as if they're first party.
I think a lot of their issue with creating new IP is to do with not allowing much overlap between game styles, and when something starts to lean towards being similar to a big-name franchise, they just make it that outright. We've got a decent amount of examples of that happening, now.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:36 pm

Not only that but

a) Nintendo hasn't really learned how to market things outside of Japan (and I don't mean my sarcastic comment of "Just pay YouTube Shepherds and Twitch Opinion Leaders to shill your games") so they do the bare minimum. Dillon's Dead Heat Breakers got a mention on a couple Nintendo directs before they go back to the stuff that makes them money and continues to sell.

b) A lot of these are lower budget titles. Some stuff like Pushmo were made with almost no budget but strict conditions, yet they hit profit level pretty soon. I have noticed how you never hear of Nintendo saying a title "has" to sell a couple million copies to break even. Then again, most game developers and publishers don't disclose their budgets - and even then, when they do, it's mostly development and not marketing. (Film is the same way)

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:25 am

^ That Dillon game was by Nintendo? It was so poor I wrote it off as some indie game with a larger than average budget. Pushmo was great but too hard imo.

If a new Switch releases it would be nice to get a real dpad, smaller size, and better functionality and a nicer screen. Standard features would be nice, like messaging, shouldn't need to resort to outside options.

Return to “Nintendo Main”