W̛̝̺h҉̫͇̹̠͍̙ỵ̣͓ ͖̟̙̖̼̤̻d̛͙̘͕̲͎̤̼i̡͔d͈̲͝n̝̣͉̞̣'̩͙͈t̟̥̞̗̫̕ ̵̯̮͓y͙̘̖͈̥̠͘o̳̼͍͇̠͠u̦̻̥͞ ͖l̫̣̦̤̠͈̠í̹̞̼s̛̻͚t̢̘ͅe͚̘̬͍̬͎̺n̪̦͓̝͚̳

Moderator: Scarecrow

Random User

Re: W̛̝̺h҉̫͇̹̠͍̙ỵ̣͓ ͖̟̙̖̼̤̻d̛͙̘͕̲͎̤̼i̡͔d͈̲͝n̝̣͉̞̣'̩͙͈t̟̥̞̗̫̕ ̵̯̮͓y͙̘̖͈̥̠͘o̳̼͍͇̠͠u̦̻̥͞ ͖l̫̣̦̤̠͈̠í̹̞̼s̛̻͚t̢̘ͅe͚̘̬͍̬͎̺n̪̦͓̝

Post by Random User » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:26 pm

You guys have it all wrong. The humans should not be more cartoonish. The Pokemon must be more like actual animals. Mr. Mime is perfect as is, I don't care what anyone says, they're wrong about Mr. Mime, but Pikachu should be an actual electric sewer rat.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Re: W̛̝̺h҉̫͇̹̠͍̙ỵ̣͓ ͖̟̙̖̼̤̻d̛͙̘͕̲͎̤̼i̡͔d͈̲͝n̝̣͉̞̣'̩͙͈t̟̥̞̗̫̕ ̵̯̮͓y͙̘̖͈̥̠͘o̳̼͍͇̠͠u̦̻̥͞ ͖l̫̣̦̤̠͈̠í̹̞̼s̛̻͚t̢̘ͅe͚̘̬͍̬͎̺n̪̦͓̝

Post by Booyakasha » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:44 pm

^That wouldn't sell plushies.

I don't want Jolteon to look like a rabid coyote with the mange. I don't need Articuno to look like a turkey vulture covered in its own sick. I certainly wouldn't like Bulbasaur to look like a mutant five-legged bullfrog with a parasitic onion growing in its back.

Nature is disgusting. Let's keep it away from our fun monster franchise.
boo---------------ten thousand evil spiders in a human suit (*spoiler alert--------the spiders all hate each other, and themselves most of all*)

steeze

Post by steeze » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:21 pm

Nature is disgusting????

I think if frogs had more onions on their backs the world would be a better place. The vegetable protein hybrid that the world craves.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:09 pm

Yeah, nature is disgusting.

Don't get me wrong, mankind is sometimes disgusting, too, but we at least have potential. We occasionally do a Jesus Christ or a John Adams or a Pliny. A Shakespeare. Nature doesn't make heroes and champions. All it does is sh*t out new diseases and occasionally send tornadoes and cyclones and volcanoes and sharks to murder people. Nature f*cking sucks and I'm sick of it for real.

That assh*le who said 'i think that i shall never see/a poem as lovely as a tree' should read "Idylls of the King" sometime. Compare 'Idylls' to the revolting honey locusts on my street. "Idylls of the King" wins. It is only fitting that "Idylls of the King" is printed on paper, literally the ground-up processed remnants of the trees it has utterly defeated. Hahaha. Alfred Lord Tennyson is the winner, and I delight in his victory. Nature can go get bent, far as I'm concerned.
boo---------------ten thousand evil spiders in a human suit (*spoiler alert--------the spiders all hate each other, and themselves most of all*)

steeze

Post by steeze » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:34 pm

King Arthur is more interesting than trees? I can accept that.

I have a hard time believing people actually enjoy reading people like Chaucer, Fielding, and Ibsen though.

It's usually in old or middle English that's not comprehensible without pauses to think about what's actually been written for starters.

It's unrelatable without delving deep into interpretation and trying to make connections to the modern world.

I find it utterly exhausting and honestly, boring. I don't get any new information or insights into reading the books written by the Mary Shelley's of the world.

If that sh*t on the reading scene a little bit that's fine by me. I just feel like there are more important things to read out there. Shake the dust.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:07 pm

^Ibsen's mostly important for his themes & how controversial they were/are, as well as for pioneering realism; his prose is (or at least the translations I've been exposed to are) dry as sand, though. Chaucer, on the other hand, had a really interesting life, & "Canterbury Tales" was a fascinating undertaking; plus, he's one of the strongest examples of Middle-English fiction for lang/lit chronology classes. I don't know who Fielding is.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:20 pm

^^If you're bored by them, you should simply go find something better suited to you. No judgments, homey. I hope you know I wouldn't think less of you for not liking Chaucer. It's silly to judge people based on their silly preferences.

steeze

Post by steeze » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:54 pm

No judgments either merely calling into question everyone's true enjoyment of them. The questions I pose are,

"Are they reading these works because they are TRULY captivated and drawn to that form of writing?
Or
Are they read because they are considered to be great works by literary historians who have deemed them to be embodiments or creations of a genre?"

I had to read 'Canterbury Tales' in high school. Fifteen year old me found it challenging and bland.

Nathelees, hastow heren? The byrd is the worde.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:04 pm

We had the textbooks with the original text on the left page & the modern-English translation on the right. *shrug*

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:27 pm

^^Hmmm! Fifteen-year-old me loved 'Canterbury Tales', and 'Troilus and Criseyde'. I found them challenging, too, but the fun kind of challenging. ('Haha! What the hell?!?', I would say. 'What does 'everichon' mean again? What's an 'eke'? What, is this part literally written in Swedish, or Norwegian, or Cherokee? Chaucer, you nut!')

Random User

Post by Random User » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:23 pm

Surely Detective Pikachu is already looking to be the next step into realism since Ibsen.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:57 pm

^No, it's going to be bleak film noir. Detective Pikachu investigates the disappearances of minority children in 'Them That Dies...'! Loses an eye and two fingers to a Yakuza hit squad-------------empties his Magnum into the first five, curb-stomps the sixth, and then, beaten and bloodied, he slices lucky number seven from chaps to chops with his hawkbill!

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:59 pm

Pikachu gave one last stomp, felt the skull crunch, and staggered back against the wall, gasping, the adrenaline fading away. He took a few big breaths, put away his gun, snow blowing in his face, and suddenly the horror took him-------pitched forward onto his knees, vomiting into the oily slush by the gutter, and then began weeping, staring at his hands, hating them for a killer's. A couple hard sobs.

The slightest crunch in the snow.

The seventh had a katana. Pikachu ducked below a high swipe, jumped over the low sweep, sidestepped a vertical stroke, but didn't anticipate the full-moon follow-through. Brought up his right hand out of instinct, and maybe that was all that saved him---------cut away part of his middle-finger, all of his index, the tip of his thumb, and sliced down clean through his right eye. Pikachu fell back with a shriek, clutching at his face, cradling his injured hand, blood dribbling down the front of his trenchcoat.

The seventh grinned smugly. 'I greet you, Detective Pikachu.' His English was impeccable, barely the trace of a Japanese accent. Tidy. 'My name is Takeda Akira. You burned my eldest brother Shingen alive with gasoline. Turned Kazama in to the police. Then, just now, you shot my youngest brother Yoshiro, and smashed my twin Masahiro beneath your feet like a wild elephant.' He bowed, hand across his breast. 'It pleases me to carry out vengeance for my family.'

Pikachu scrambled backwards through the snow, the black-clad assassin stalking after him. 'Piss on your family and your vengeance!', the detective snarled, shrilling through the pain. 'You all deserve worse, after what you done to them kids!'

'Bah. Snivelry.' The assassin spat. 'Sympathy for the weak. My brothers were weak-----I don't care about them. My mother wishes this, because she, too, is weak. She is weak, and she cries for her weak children. I am not weak. This is about honour.' He raised his katana. 'I will not have my family's name dragged through the mud, allowing it to be said that some no-account meddling spark-mouse wronged me and I failed to take revenge.'

Pikachu brought up short against a lamp-post. Touched the maimed hand to his face, gasped at the pain in both. 'Your mother can have all the children she wants. Just tell her you're goin in raw from now on.' Pretending at pure fear (not having to pretend very hard. if he was honest with himself), reaching surreptitiously behind his back with his good hand.

Fury flickered across the killer's face for a moment, only to be replaced with the pleased smile again. 'Hmmm. You Americans are a filthy disreputable coward race, as you demonstrated by your conduct during the war. It surprises me to see courage in a dishonourable rat, even if it is mere last-minute bravado. This cannot but add to my glory.' Took the hilt with his right hand as well, raised it on high.

Pikachu grasped the handle of his hawkbill. 'Yeah, us Yanks are full of surprises.' Tensed himself. All-or-nothing time. Suddenly sprang up, dug in at the taint, pulled the hooked knife up all the way through till it stuck in the right clavicle, flew out of his hand. The assassin screamed, dropped his blade in the snow, fell to his knees as his guts spilled out. Pikachu dragged the sword up, still red with his own blood. 'How's this for a surprise, you slope bastard?!?' Stabbed him up through the mouth, out the top of his head. Takeda slowly crumpled over onto his side in the snow, the look of shock still fresh on his face.

Pikachu slumped down, breathing hard. Snow fell. The wind blew. After a time he rose, whimpering with pain. Picked up the yari of assassin number four, and, using it as a crutch, he limped off down the street. His sliced, bloodied fedora lay where it had fallen, then skipped away off into the night on a sudden gust. Seven dead men grew cold behind him.
----------excerpt from book seven ('Even the Damned Would Weep', 1957) of Mickey Spillane's Detective Pikachu series

Return to “Pokemon: Alola”