WoT 369 is feeling morose

The legendary VGF.com Misc forum for general and random topics.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Re: WoT 369 is feeling morose

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:53 am

South Park only got (mostly) consistently better, unlike Simpsons or Family Guy, so I definitely understand it sticking around.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:30 am

New! Tazy Ten wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:11 am
Hasn't Family Guy been canceled at least once? Does that still count?
funnily, spongebob actually was also cancelled around the same time as family guy and lasted about as long too

maybe these shows are identical twins separated at birth
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Sonic 5

Post by Sonic 5 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:16 pm

I got a sticker today.
I REALLY HATE POKEMON! wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:53 am
South Park only got (mostly) consistently better, unlike Simpsons or Family Guy, so I definitely understand it sticking around.
SP has retooled itself somewhat. It's not the exact show it was in 1997. Family Guy just got stale and went too far with its characterization and gags.

Still, it's weird to think that so many shows have been terrible for longer than they were good (imo)

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:02 am

Sonic 5 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:16 pm
I got a sticker today.
I REALLY HATE POKEMON! wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:53 am
SP has retooled itself somewhat. It's not the exact show it was in 1997. Family Guy just got stale and went too far with its characterization and gags.

Still, it's weird to think that so many shows have been terrible for longer than they were good (imo)
Yeah, SP is definitely different now. The childish, crude humor of the early runs wasn't interesting. You could have told me that Cartman's butt probe episode was done by 9 year olds and I'd have believed it.

I don't think it is weird that long running shows are terrible for so long though, they run out of ideas but people watch because it's familiar and easy so they persist. What is weird to me is how short shows can divebomb so fast, starting strong and then devolving into garbage. High School of the Dead is what always springs to mind for that...

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:30 am

High School of the Dead? Thinking about it, I did see some stuff from that. I can believe that it starts strong, but it seemed like it loses all its edge to show off their cool protagonists instead.

Some shows have one good idea but no way to expand on it, or it leaves an impression it has no intention of fulfilling. Long running shows need a good team at every position to put everything together and enough good ideas to play off the world they've made. Otherwise, why should the audience invest in the show at all? That's what separates The Simpsons from something like Pickle and Peanut.

(And if you've never heard of Pickle and Peanut... well, that's exactly the point.)

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:40 am

HSoTD falls apart for different ressons but I can sum it up as it becoming too "anime." Strange criticism I know, sounds unfair, but the first episode feels like it was directed by George Romero, then like he just left and they scrambled.

Pickle and Peanut huh? Name alone sounds like it wouldn't catch on.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:23 am

Does anyone else here suffer from upper back pain? Specifically neck/shoulder area?

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilink » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:28 am

I'm perpetually tense up there, but it's not exactly pain.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:32 am

I guess tense is what I really mean. I'm perpetually tense too but it got pretty bad a couple weeks ago. I woke up with an EXCRUCIATING crick on the left side of my neck. I never had a crick this bad in my life. I could hardly move my neck. I used heat pads and ice packs but it only took time for it to subside. I stopped paying attention to it but now I realized the crick is there again - though much less painful. I've looked up ways to sleep better but, alas, nothing is an instant relief.

I've yet to really try a massage. But - money. Ugh.

steeze

Post by steeze » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:11 pm

I'm more of a debilitating lower back pain guy. Could be your posture. For some reason I recall you saying you're a teacher. If you do when you stand, try to keep your shoulders pulled backwards. Try to bring your shoulder blades closer together slightly and bend your knees ever so slightly while letting your hands fall naturally on your side. Chances are if you talk with your hands all day this will be difficult lol. When I was a swimmer my back would give me a hard time. I used some resistance bands to help me out.

That's probably the best option for you because you could use it with your neck as well. If you wrap it around the side of your head and hold the ends you can gently stretch and work out the levator scapulae that's near all those nerves on the back of your neck that travels down your spine and out to the traps. Strengthing those traps and delts will keep your posture so that the nerves don't get inflamed

If you need to massage your back get a lacrosse ball and just lean against the wall and roll the ball in between to the affected area. Foam rollers work to help as well. The best course of action is heating. Ice isn't really going to do anything for you it's more used for keeping swelling down during the first three days after you injure yourself. I'd even argue against using it at all. Heats specifically for relaxing tensed up muscles which are important in your case because you probably just have some bad habits and not an injury or tendonitis. Stick to one pillow between your shoulder and head. A good firm pillow that will hold your head a neutral distance from your shoulder. At least 3-4 inches. Pillow between legs and pillow against the chest.

If it persists despite all that go to the doctor and get X-Ray'd. Don't take chances with your back dude, seriously.

mushroom

Post by mushroom » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:04 pm

Your back is the backbone of your body.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:44 pm

steeze wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:11 pm
I'm more of a debilitating lower back pain guy. Could be your posture. For some reason I recall you saying you're a teacher. If you do when you stand, try to keep your shoulders pulled backwards. Try to bring your shoulder blades closer together slightly and bend your knees ever so slightly while letting your hands fall naturally on your side. Chances are if you talk with your hands all day this will be difficult lol. When I was a swimmer my back would give me a hard time. I used some resistance bands to help me out.

That's probably the best option for you because you could use it with your neck as well. If you wrap it around the side of your head and hold the ends you can gently stretch and work out the levator scapulae that's near all those nerves on the back of your neck that travels down your spine and out to the traps. Strengthing those traps and delts will keep your posture so that the nerves don't get inflamed

If you need to massage your back get a lacrosse ball and just lean against the wall and roll the ball in between to the affected area. Foam rollers work to help as well. The best course of action is heating. Ice isn't really going to do anything for you it's more used for keeping swelling down during the first three days after you injure yourself. I'd even argue against using it at all. Heats specifically for relaxing tensed up muscles which are important in your case because you probably just have some bad habits and not an injury or tendonitis. Stick to one pillow between your shoulder and head. A good firm pillow that will hold your head a neutral distance from your shoulder. At least 3-4 inches. Pillow between legs and pillow against the chest.

If it persists despite all that go to the doctor and get X-Ray'd. Don't take chances with your back dude, seriously.
Haha. Teacher. I would love to be a teacher. But I'm pretty sure I would ramble about something strange I researched that has nothing to do with the class and then lose my train of thought.

I work in a lab. On very hectic days I move about, but most of the times I'm just bored at my desk. I've been more conscious of getting up every twenty minutes or so to stretch or even jog in place.

I heard the same about ice but I was so desperate after the heating didn't do anything that I tried it anyway.

The ball is a good idea. I think I have a ball somewhere that would be useful lying around.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:22 pm

I got plenty of pain, back's no exception. It'd be nice to get some pain meds but doctors don't want to prescribe anything useful because everyone is popping.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:21 am

getting high on painkillers isnt even worth it, like its fun for the first half hour then you just get nauseous and sleepy

steeze

Post by steeze » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:15 am

Muscle relaxers are the way to go. Some of them can make you just as sleepy though. I don't find the painkillers get me high because they're usually barely taking the edge off. I will say they are super addictive. I'm glad I have good willpower because I had an Oxy prescription for a month last year and I ended up calling the doctor and told him I needed something that wouldn't have me feeling like a crackhead lol.

VG_Addict

Post by VG_Addict » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:34 pm

Been on a ska binge lately.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:14 pm

well good news, now you can watch all your favorite ska videos on your Nintendo Switch, thanks to the YouTube app FINALLY dropping today!

VG_Addict

Post by VG_Addict » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:34 pm

I don't like how shows and movies keep having a "Be yourself" message. Being different isn't always a good thing. Sometimes it's better to do what other people are doing or blend in.

Now, I'm not saying it's bad to be different, just that there are limits.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:57 pm

Isn't that the backstory to the show Dexter?

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:58 pm

DarkZero wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:14 pm
well good news, now you can watch all your favorite ska videos on your Nintendo Switch, thanks to the YouTube app FINALLY dropping today!
So within a decade it seems Switch will have access to all the standard apps. Nice.
VG_Addict wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:34 pm
I don't like how shows and movies keep having a "Be yourself" message. Being different isn't always a good thing. Sometimes it's better to do what other people are doing or blend in.

Now, I'm not saying it's bad to be different, just that there are limits.
As far as identity politics go that's relatively mild and can possibly be overlooked. There's a lot worse out there, but I know what you mean.

Return to “Miscellaneous: Bubble Time”