Tales of series

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Artemis008

Tales of series

Post by Artemis008 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:44 am

I just got tales of phantasia yester day and I'm loving it. I'm playing the psx version with the team phantasia translation. After I finish it, should I play destiny 1 and 2 or should I skip them and get symphonia instead? How long is this game? And finally, is there a timeline like kingdom hearts or is it more of a final fantasy thing where the games are mostly unrelated?

This is also a thread for general tales discussion, so discuss.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:05 pm

Most of the games in the series are unrelated to one another.

If you want to play Tales of Destiny you should play the PS2 remake, though I don't know if it's been translated.

Edit: Nope. Also, keep in mind that the English Tales of Destiny 2 is actually Tales of Eternia, which has no connection to Tales of Destiny.

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:31 pm

[QUOTE="X-3, post: 1640338, member: 27765"]Most of the games in the series are unrelated to one another.

If you want to play Tales of Destiny you should play the PS2 remake, though I don't know if it's been translated.

Edit: Nope. Also, keep in mind that the English Tales of Destiny 2 is actually Tales of Eternia, which has no connection to Tales of Destiny.[/QUOTE]
I can't play PS2 games anyway, how many other games are untranslated?

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:08 pm

Play Symphonia because it's a prequel to Phantasia, and don't ever play the Symphonia sequel because it's a godawful excuse of a game. Be sure to play Abyss at some point after Symphonia.
I believe in second chances, and that's why I believe in you.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:33 pm

Phantasia: You're already playing it, dunno what version is the best.
Destiny: There's an official translation for PSX version, but no translation for PS2 remake. Not sure how good the translation is.
Eternia: Officially translated as Tales of Destiny 2. Not sure how good the translation is.
Destiny2: No translation of any kind.
Symphonia: GCN version was officially translated but PS2 version wasn't. Years later, the HD version for PS3/PC was translated.
Rebirth: No translation of any kind for any version.
Legendia: Officially translated.
Abyss: PS2 and 3DS versions were both officially translated.
Tempest: This was fan-translated as a sick, sick joke.
Innocence: Both DS and Vita versions are untranslated.
Hearts: Vita version was translated. The fan-translation of the supposedly-superior DS version got put off as a result.
Vesperia: 360 version was officially translated, PS3 version was fan translated.
Graces: PS3 version was officially translated, Wii's fan translation was dropped.
Xillia to Berseria: Officially translated.

Oh, and the spin-off Radiant Mythology got translated for some reason.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:33 pm

^ Tales of Innocence actually has a fan-translation. But only the DS version. (also the DS version of Tales of Hearts has some... compressed voice acting that sounds weird and it actually does kinda lag a bit, I don't know if some of it is the emulator)

As for the series itself, It's more like final fantasy where the games are unrelated, unless the names are the same.

the only exceptions are Symphonia (which is a distant prequel to Phantasia) and Zestiria & Berseria (Berseria is another prequel to Zestiria.)

If you're getting into the series, one thing to note: Prior to Vesperia (exceptions being the handheld ones), a lot of the games haven't aged well. Vesperia's pretty much the part where, gameplay-wise, the series started to really hit its stride and ironed out things. Everything since Abyss has pretty much built upon it and Destiny PS2.

While Destiny PS2 and Symphonia are perfectly playable today, they can take a little time adjusting to since Symphonia didn't have free-run, which has pretty much been a staple since Abyss. Plus, Destiny PS2 is strictly 2D and used a different resource system than most of them. (imo, Graces and Berseria have the best battles.)

The best ones in the series, imo, are (in no particular order), Berseria, Abyss, Symphonia, Vesperia, and Destiny PS2.

After that is Phantasia, Graces ƒ (the plot of that game is VERY love-it-or-hate-it though), Innocence, and Hearts. (Which version of the latter is... rather subjective. Some love the Vita versions while others HATe them, and some think the DS games are bad, for reasons I can kinda see, the emulators make the DS version of Hearts lag like crazy, and apparently physical copies also lagged.)

Legendia is... well, I put that in its own category because the game is FAR from bad, it's just... really really flawed. It wasn't even made BY any of the Tales teams, and it shows. :frown: The writing is very good, but the localisation wasn't very good (the voice acting is... alright, just asl ong as you remember it's a 2006 dub, but half the game is played in silence cause they ran out of money.) Gameplay wise... it's actually a step back. I mean I think it's a great game, but its flaws are just THAT glaring with it and they really hold it back.

The Xillias are the same - the first was supposed to be an anniversary title but was rushed (and it shows), Xillia 2 patches it up but has a rather controversal linking system.

Zestiria is... well, let's just say, the most popular Tales games are the ones that take the common RPG tropes and play them as a negative. Zestiria pretty much was a "Back to basics" idealistic romp through a Fantasy setting - which some people thought was alright but others outright HATED, and the somewhat saccharine world of Zestiria actually made people like Berseria MORE, as Berseria was pretty much an extended deconstruction of Zestiria's setting. Because Berseria is a prequel, you don't need to play Zestiria to know what's going on there, so that one is safe to skip.

Skip Destiny 2, Tempest, and Dawn of the New World. You can skip Eternia and Rebirth - they're not BAD games, just their age really shows. Especially the english dub and translation of Eternia - it's pretty laughable.

Christmas PDN

Post by Christmas PDN » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:40 pm

If you can, go for the 3DS version of Abyss. No load times are a nice thing.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:46 pm

Zestiria isn't really needed to play Berseria, but there's extended story payoff if you do. Mostly around Eizen.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:58 pm

SECONDING RU ON ABYSS SO HARD. The downside is if you're playing with a friend you can't do multiplayer in battles on 3DS, you can only do that with PS2; but on the other hand the PS2 version takes about 10 seconds to save which gets incredibly tedious. Otherwise the versions are identical iirc it's just a port.
I believe in second chances, and that's why I believe in you.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:18 pm

I've yet to play Phantasia - always wanted to. Play Symphonia afterwards because it's a quintessential Tales of game. It takes forever though. It's such a long game. Abyss is good. I see people are meh about Xilia and honestly I love Xilia. I mean - so far. I'm like halfway through I think. The rest I haven't played nor know much about.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:32 pm

[QUOTE="X-3, post: 1640502, member: 27765"]Zestiria isn't really needed to play Berseria, but there's extended story payoff if you do. Mostly around Eizen.[/QUOTE]

While Eizen does make the bulk of the connections to zestiria, there're plenty. Though some of them are only shown in the anime. (ie, how the first "Lord of Calamity" was actually Velvet
and how [spoiler]the final boss of Zestiria is that ten year old little kid armatized with Heldalf[/spoiler]

And some of the plot points in both are actually explained in the post-game of Berseria.

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:38 pm

[QUOTE="X-3, post: 1640433, member: 27765"]Phantasia: You're already playing it, dunno what version is the best.
Destiny: There's an official translation for PSX version, but no translation for PS2 remake. Not sure how good the translation is.
Eternia: Officially translated as Tales of Destiny 2. Not sure how good the translation is.
Destiny2: No translation of any kind.
Symphonia: GCN version was officially translated but PS2 version wasn't. Years later, the HD version for PS3/PC was translated.
Rebirth: No translation of any kind for any version.
Legendia: Officially translated.
Abyss: PS2 and 3DS versions were both officially translated.
Tempest: This was fan-translated as a sick, sick joke.
Innocence: Both DS and Vita versions are untranslated.
Hearts: Vita version was translated. The fan-translation of the supposedly-superior DS version got put off as a result.
Vesperia: 360 version was officially translated, PS3 version was fan translated.
Graces: PS3 version was officially translated, Wii's fan translation was dropped.
Xillia to Berseria: Officially translated.

Oh, and the spin-off Radiant Mythology got translated for some reason.[/QUOTE]
Why is it so inconsistent? They localize a game and it gets positive reception, so they DONT release the next two games internationally. What's up with that? I also now see that most of these are on consoles I don't own, nor can I emulate. Wonderful.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:58 pm

Well, I can only make guesses...guesses that I'll pretend are the absolute truth. The unlocalized PS2 games (Destiny 2, Destiny R, Rebirth) are probably because they were 2D and Sony could be anal about 2D games. Tempest and Innocence were (average at best) DS games and probably got passed on because they wanted to focus resources on localizing Vesperia. Same with Rebirth R. After Vesperia there's a lull of about 3-4 years where Graces Wii and Hearts get passed on. From then on everything gets localized except for Innocence R, presumably because it didn't have the demand Hearts R did.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:23 am

In the case of Vesperia?

Actually, you can thank (or blame) none other than Microsoft for that one. The reason we didn't get the PS3 version of Vesperia was cause apparently, Microsoft paid for the localisation or distribution (one of those two) and that included an exclusivity clause outside of Japan. I've heard the same happened with Tales of Symphonia, but apparently that expired since Nintendo wasn't able to block the collection at all. (Maybe it was for only x years or something?)

The wii version of Graces... to be entirely honest, I don't think we missed out on a lot - Partly cause
a) The Wii version had a lot of bugs. So much they recalled it.
b) The wii version only contains maybe 85% of the game, while the PS3 version contains the full game. I don't just mean "extra story scenes you can beat the entire game without even seeing them" or "Bonus bosses that are unavailable in the Wii version"... I mean "ƒ actually contains an extra 10-20 story arc that makes a guest-star party member playable", so I wonder if it was foresight that they didn't wanna just release a beta while hogging the "full version" to themselves cause they got screwed by the console-makers again. (...plus, Sony's kiiiinda been the go-to for JRPGs. >.>)

no idea why they took one-to-two years to localise them until Zestiria though. Apparently, Graces and Xillia&2 sold well enough that they had less apprehension.

No idea why Innocence R never got a localisation, but then again though, I have the feeling that Hearts R's minimal localisation was cause, well... they were on the Vita. The Vita's only done well in Japan - everywhere else, the Vita was having a hard time getting ground even back then and was pretty much on death's door by 2014. Something about antitrust suits in the UK, and distributors in NA hated the Vita for some reason - aside from Toys r Us (which still showed way more of other systems) and Best Buy (which gave it its own shelf next to the PS3 with a display one to play with), everyone who carried a Vita shoved it in the corner behind the hidden object games and it was a ***** trying to find those overpriced memory cards!

Also, Eternia, Destiny 2, and Rebirth got PSP versions, but only one of which saw a release outside of Japan. (Eternia) Good news is, the PSP is region-free so you can probably import a copy still, like I did for Tales of Eternia. I think the reason we didn't get the PSP port of Eternia was cause they didn't want to just re-release it as Destiny 2 like they did back then t get around trademarks and copyright. (Thank you He-Man. :tongue: )

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:46 am

Does anybody know how to do multi-player in phantasia PSX? It recognises the 2ND controller but won't let me switch player 2 out of automatic mode.

Return to “Retro Games”