VGF Listening Club: THE RETURN

Moderator: Calamity Panfan

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

VGF Listening Club: THE RETURN

Post by Calamity Panfan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:15 am

A few years ago (probably more than "a few" at this point...), we did something called VGF Listening Club where every week a member would pick 3-5 songs with a short description of why they dig those songs, and everyone else in the listening club would post their thoughts on the songs as well. It was a pretty fun time and a good way to share music a little more in depth than the standard "what are you listening to" thread!

I'd like to get that started up again, if others are interested.

The Rules
1. Every week a member who joins will be chosen at random
2. That member will pick 3-5 songs they like, LOVE, or just think are interesting to talk about and post them in the topic. This will preferably include descriptions of why you picked the track to get discussion rolling. Whether that's a sentence or a paragraph is up to you!
3. Please make sure to mark NSFW content as such, whether it's song lyrics or content in a music video.
4. Everyone else posts their thoughts on the songs in the thread. Be respectful of each other's opinions and keep an open mind. We won't all like the same stuff!
5. More members can join at any time as the topic continues.

LET ME KNOW IF YOU'RE INTERESTED! I hope to get this rolling in a week or two.

VGF Listening Club
1. Panny

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Re: VGF Listening Club: THE RETURN

Post by Marilink » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:11 am

In like Flynn

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:53 pm

I'll play.
boo----------------the furious little monkey

steeze

Post by steeze » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:54 pm

I'll do it too!

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:50 pm

Sure, sounds cool.

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:42 pm

I was hoping we'd do something like this. Count me the **** in.

Jere

Post by Jere » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:48 pm

aye

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:19 pm

Hey I'm gonna start this up soon but I'm gonna do a last call for people to get involved first! @Apollo the Just @Heroine of the Dragon @е и ժ е я @Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds @Valigarmander and anyone else

Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds
Administrator

Post by Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:22 am

Oh hey, sure, sign me up.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:06 pm

Yeah, I'm game
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:03 pm

Calamity Panfan wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:19 pm
Hey I'm gonna start this up soon but I'm gonna do a last call for people to get involved first! @Apollo the Just @Heroine of the Dragon @е и ժ е я @Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds @Valigarmander and anyone else
Sure, I'll sign up twice.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:10 am

i just thought i'd give you an official excuse to post twice as much as everyone else, val

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:36 am

I don't need an excuse. :cool:

Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds
Administrator

Post by Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:09 am

As long as Val doesn't get extra turns at hosting. I KNOW HE'S TWICE THE MAN THE REST OF US ARE, BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO FLAUNT IT OVER US.

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:56 pm

Ah, I'm so excited both to share what I like and discover what you all like.

United Nations

Post by United Nations » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:37 pm

I’ll join.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:39 pm

OKAY, the random number generator has spoken and has chosen....

@Bomby!!!

You're our first host. Post the songs you'd like to share, and everyone else will have one week to respond before the next host picks!

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:50 am

There's like 1000 songs I'd love to share, but I had to narrow it down to five.

1. HYO - "Sober"

As I imagine almost all of you are aware, I'm a huge fan of a Korean pop group called Girls' Generation. I almost chose to share five songs from the group's best singer, Taeyeon, but instead I've decided to share a solo song from the least popular member, Hyoyeon. The **** up thing is that the reason why she's the least popular - in spite of being the lead dancer in the group - is that she's considered the "ugly" one (to which I say **** you, every member of Girls' Generation is a 27 out of 10).

Even though she's one of the lesser-skilled singers in the group, I absolutely love her voice, and have wanted somewhat patiently for years to finally get solo songs from her. This is actually her third solo single - and her first released under her DJ moniker of simply HYO - and I've been addicted to it since it came out in May.

The video is cool, too. In general I love Hyoyeon's dancing, and there is plenty of it here.

2. A$AP Twelvyy - "Strapped" (Explicit Lyrics)

One my favorite new-school rappers is A$AP Rocky - to be honest, tied with Kendrick Lamar for #1. Twelvyy is a member of his group, A$AP Mob. While nowhere near as successful as Rocky and A$AP Ferg, he's carved out a little spot for himself as one of the group's traditional "New York" rappers (almost all members group are from New York, but tend to be inspired by a wide variety of different styles of hip hop).

Twelvyy's best and most popular song is called "Last Year Being Broke," but I chose to share "Strapped" instead because of how it hits me emotionally. You don't really hear people calling any rap music "beautiful," but this song is damn beautiful. In spite of getting a co-sign from Kendrick Lamar (who rarely posts on social media), it's also his least popular single. Shame, really. I find it very comforting and easy to relax to when I'm feeling stressed and depressed.

3. A$AP Rocky f/ Bones - "Canal St" (Explicit Lyrics)

Hey look, it's that aforementioned A$AP Rocky guy.

On the surface, A$AP Rocky is a conceited bastard, even by the standards set by rap music. He often raps about being good-looking, having a great fashion sense, and being able to charm damn near any woman he pleases. As I am also a conceited bastard who is good-looking and has a great fashion sense, I related to that right away.

But once you get past all of the bragging, there are a lot of songs with deeper content. I'm not necessarily certain I would consider this to be a song with "deeper" content, but he does a damn good job of making it sound great. This is the second song from AT.LONG.LAST.A$AP, a damn masterpiece of an album and his finest work yet.

4. Taeyeon f/ Verbal Jint - "I"

You know what? I can't not include a Taeyeon song. She's the best singer in my favorite pop group, so I had to.

I was working a really crappy and stressful job that I was terrible at when this song came out. I finally got fired about a month later, and I felt absolutely free. Pretty much the same thing happens in this music video, except instead of getting fired Taeyeon quits a crappy job. But even getting past the video itself, the lyrics of the song felt like they related to my life. In particular these lines (translated from Korean to English) stood out to me:

My heart yearns for the dream I forgot
the time that shrank,I gather it all and swallow it
the little memories,one by one they wake me up
they stretch me enough to fill the world

(here's the full translation if you'd like - https://lyricstranslate.com/en/i-i.html-1)

As I drove off from the corporate headquarters, I played this song in my car. Without question, that was one of the most memorable music-related moments in my entire life. Freedom. Hope. Opportunity.

Well, that's two members of Girls' Generation and two members of A$AP Mob. Time for something a bit different.

5. Grimes - "California"

Relating to "I," this is the song I listened to on the way to corporate headquarters when I knew they were going to fire me. You get a text from your boss the night before telling you to go to headquarters instead of your regular office, you kind of know why. The lyrics evoke a feeling of walking away from a bitter situation with your head held high. That was how I felt about my job and my boss.

I actually saw Grimes in concert two days after I got fired. Fun stuff.

This song isn't necessarily the most fitting introduction to Grimes. It's abnormally normal in comparison to most of her music, and I'm not even certain that it would rank among my favorite songs of hers if it were not for the memory associated with it. But that memory puts it up there.

Return to “Music and Podcasts”