Marilink
Supermod

Re: VGF Streamers Index

Post by Marilink » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:46 am

ayyy that's super cool

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:49 am

I've been having a really good time experimenting with glitch hunting as well as speedrunning, and I hope it isn't spammy to post this here but I managed to find a consistent-ish setup for a known skip in HP3 for GameCube too:

the WR holder found this skip MONTHS ago but I'm the only one who's managed to get the movement required to replicate it with any consistency so far

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:46 am

I wonder if the admins can change your user title from "Moderator" to "Glitch Hunter Supreme".

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:00 am

Taco Bell makes video games now?

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:49 am

Valigarmander wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:46 am
I wonder if the admins can change your user title from "Moderator" to "Glitch Hunter Supreme".
I won’t accept such a title until I get a consistent setup for Sheena Stair Clip.

mushroom

Post by mushroom » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:46 pm

i stream arcade games a lot. in fact I might be doing so in like half an hour.

http://twitch.tv/mycophobiah

e: sorry heres my schedge:

m-th: 6pm central
f-sun: whenever
Last edited by mushroom on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:40 am

So I'm only announcing this because it's a pretty cool and unique one-time dealio (I figure at this point people know where to find me if they want to watch 8,000 Martel Temple resets for 6 hours), but tomorrow at noon PT I'm going to be giving a demo of a panel I've prepared for Aselia Con, which I'm attending next weekend!

The panel is on approaching Tales of Symphonia as a speed game. It's meant to be delivered to casual players of the series, so my intention is to give a glimpse to people entirely unfamiliar with speedrunning it as to how such a game is optimized and the kinds of mechanics we exploit. I go over all of the major discoveries over the years and break down how they work, including footage of them in action in the run, and several of which are kind of hilarious or stupidly broken. I personally find it an absolutely fascinating topic, especially seeing how different the run is now from its early days; so if you think this would interest you I'd love people to stop by and give feedback! I don't want to bore people or be overly technical, but I do want to give credit where due and emphasize just how many people have contributed to getting the route where it is today while keeping it interesting.

My goal is to give a panel that's engaging to casual players but also potentially informative to speedrunning veterans. It's a hard balance to strike and the only way I'll know I've made it is if people stop by and tell me if it's interesting or not. If you have any desire to know more about the specific ways people have broken this video game, stop by!

Thanks for coming to my shameless self promotion post. <3

Edit: here is the panel demo! I believe I say a few bad words throughout so language warning. It is a long video, about an hour, so TLDW different people found stuff and we go fast now.

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:46 pm

i got a sick **** peeb and its all because @Apollo the Just blessed my chat

once this gets approved i will be in the top 5 MMNES speedrunners and thats **** rad
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:36 pm

I have nowhere else to really post this and it's not enough to actually make a topic so I'll just talk about it here

I'm learning the Tales of the Abyss New Game speedrun for 3DS, which is a super interesting experience because the game is MOSTLY the same as the PS2 version, but somehow certain hitboxes and timing things are different because of the different FPS and resolution. This means that I need to learn the PS2 route (which is what everyone runs), but then practice each fight and make certain changes; I basically have to test and tweak the route myself because no one else runs this version. For example the Liger Queen fight, in PS2 they just spam neutral attacks for the first phase and she gets stunlocked, but for some reason in 3DS that does not keep her locked down and I had to experiment with what combo to use that would give the best DPS but also lock her down.

I don't love doing big routing stuff because it's dealing with too many variables, but I am thoroughly enjoying making *minor* additions and changes to fights and adapting *slightly* for the port. It's been cool and I feel like I'm contributing in a more meaningful way since Abyss doesn't really have documentation the way Symphonia does

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:29 pm

Routing is hard and incredibly time consuming. I spent a couple days working on a category of my own (Legend of Mana cactus%!!!!!!) and I still don't even know if it's possible because I just don't have time to work with it.

I've enjoyed drawing a bunch of minimaps though, even though some are just, dark wizardry???? The desert is RIDICULOUS. The jungle is weird. The junkyard is a;lsdkgj;dselgkj

as of this post we still have not called comcast to ask, hey what gives???? :c
mess with the NOOT you get a DOOT!

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:24 am

Clickbait update: I HAVE BEATEN TALES OF THE ABYSS FASTER THAN ANYONE ELSE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD

Accurate disclaimer: I am the only one who has ever actually run and recorded it on 3DS, and since the 3DS load times save about an hour of the run over PS2, my time is already faster than all of the competitive PS2 times. Therefore the implied claim that I am better at this game than everyone else is false and misleading. That said, I did put extensive effort into applying the existing route to the port and testing out certain changes, and while there is still much time to be saved, for a first run my time is in fact somewhat competitive; as such there is validity in being proud of this accomplishment

Here's a 9 hour vod if you have an entire day to waste being bored:

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:40 am

Hey, if Narcissa beating OoT on the IQue counted for a new WR, this should too

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:46 am

How do speedrun records usually handle variable load times? Seems like that'd be a common problem for things like PS2->PS4 ports and every PC game older than a few years now that M.2 drives are a thing. Do they just cut loads and go by in-game times?

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:37 am

Probably depends on the game community and how variable the load times are. Runners of Tropical Freeze and a few of the Souls games just pause the timer during loads to keep a level playing field. In the case of ports on different systems, if the time-save from loading/other stuff is significant the game gets split into different console categories. (ie: FFX has PS2, HD Console and PC)

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:15 am

Yeah, just like every other rule in speedrunning, it’s totally community-dependent. With variable load times or hardware speeds, the options are basically

1. Free-for-all, and it’s on you to get the best option or have your time suffer (see: OoT)
2. Separate categories for each console (can’t think of an example rn)
3. Stop timer for load times (see: DKCTF)
4. The port is different enough to be considered its own game with all new categories and such (see: Zelda HD remasters on Wii U)
5. Idk I’m probably missing some

Basically each community will handle it how they see fit. Sometimes decisions get changed midstream, and then there’s c o n t r o v e r s y

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:16 pm

I should have mentioned that for Abyss there is actually a separate leaderboard for 3DS (which is the only fair thing because FPS differences and other changes actually make it slightly different execution wise); it’s still WR in the 3DS category by nature of being literally the only run. But the fastest PS2 run is still WR for that category. On the other hand, PS2 runners need to run JP because JP and ENG runs go on the same leaderboard but JP is faster.

Symphonia also has different categories for the different ports which, again, is only fair because changes actually make them different.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban for consoles just has 1 leaderboard though so my GameCube time looks super **** next to XBox because load times lose like half an hour. That said, execution is the same so you really only need one leaderboard, and if you want WR you get the best console for it.

ML is right, it’s community dependent. But usually if ports have even slightly different gameplay they’re separated for fairness. If it’s just load times anything goes.

EDIT: to kind of clear it up, Symphonia has different categories for each port because of gameplay differences. That said, all competitive GameCube times are all done on Wii because of load times. If you’re posting a run of the GameCube version on SRC, whether on GC or Wii, it goes to that leaderboard. So you want WR you use a Wii for load times. But PS2 runners aren’t competing with GC because PS2 nerfed and changed enough **** it wouldn’t be fair.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:59 pm

Yeah, I poked around on speedrun.com and it seems like most PC boards do game time. There were a few that just have actual time, though, which seems insane. That's just going to be a measure of who has the fanciest drive for most games.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:09 pm

Fun fact: there is a category for Tales of the Abyss PS2 that is a meme because it allows the use of Open Tray Glitch, exclusive to the skinny PS2 (forget the name) where you can remove the game disk on the overworld to de-load and clip through a bunch of stuff to access certain things early.

It is a meme because the skinny PS2 has such garbage load times that the run is still slower. I think 1 dude submitted to src lmao

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:25 pm

hey if we're talking about console/region designations on speedrun.com i wanna rant about something real quick

so the Maniac Mansion speedruns are split into three categories, there's the C64/DOS/Apple II/Amiga version (everyone just runs DOS though), the NES version, and Maniac Mansion Deluxe (which is fair, all these games are structured differently with their own load times, controls, and mechanics). But for some reason, the Famicom version is lumped in with the NES version despite being COMPLETELY different, not only from the NES version, but ANY other version of the game, because its the only version besides Deluxe that wasn't developed by LucasArts, and IS the only version not to be programmed in SCUMM! It's not even in its own category!!!

granted this is slightly mitigated by the fact that no one has submitted a FC run but STILL
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:56 pm

Run FC and submit it and rant about that in the comments forcing them to create a new category

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”