Gaming channels on YouTube, or just the internet in general.

Moderator: X-3

Bomby

Gaming channels on YouTube, or just the internet in general.

Post by Bomby » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:27 am

Who do ya watch and why do you like them?

---

I'm personally a big fan of the Normal Boots crew. They just started their own group channel last week, and it's been pretty good so far.

ProJared is easily my favorite gamer on YouTube. His game reviews have a perfect blend of in-depth analysis with a sense of humor that's consistently good but never over-the-top. He used to do a series called One Minute Review which was a very good and convenient way to get a good analysis quickly, though it's now been a few years since he's retired that segment.

PeanutButterGamer's sense of humor can be a bit over-the-top at times, but his videos are still consistently enjoyable overall. As a big fan of the Zelda series, his tradition of Zelda Month in November is a lot of fun, though last year he replaced it with Mario Month due to running out of ideas for more Zelda-related videos, as well as general fatigue with the theme.

The Completionist, as his name suggests, specializes in playing games to 100%, and ends with a recommendation on how much to play a given game. I just think it's a great concept overall and enjoy his implementation of it, as well as his personality in general.

Did You Know Gaming presents a series of trivia and lesser known facts about certain games. I especially enjoy their Region Locked series, mostly focusing on games that never left Japan or other regions.

Finally in Normal Boots, there's Satchell Drakes. He doesn't upload videos too often, but when he does, his analysis is top-notch. He also has the most professional and artistically impressive style of any gamer I've come across on YouTube.

---

Outsode of Normal Boots, SNESdrunk is another favorite of mine. As the name implies, his channel mostly focuses on Super NES, which I would still consider my favorite system to date.

I enjoy a decent amount of videogamedunkey's videos, though he can be more over-the-top than PeanutButterGamer to the point of annoyance at times. I will forever appreciate his explanation of Armond White in his criticism of critics video.

Last but definitely not least is Scott the Woz. His channel is relatively new, but has picked up followers at a rapid pace due to his original style and humor. My #2 favorite after ProJared.
Last edited by Bomby on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Re: Gaming channels on YouTube

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:06 pm

I've been watching a lot of Giant Bomb's stuff lately though not all of their stuff is on Youtube. I really like all their personalities. That's really all the video game content I consume, though I'll occasionally watch Game Grumps from time to time.

Jere

Post by Jere » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:16 pm

Normal boots crew as stated above, i watch Bo time gaming from time to time mostly cause they play historical games.

Then Im a vivid follower of Team poor life choices look at that name it's wonderfull!

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:10 pm

Stryder7x. His crashing paper Mario series is great, he has a very calming voice, and he just knows all sorts of weird crazy **** from being a Paper Mario speedrunner and glitch hunter.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:21 pm

I don't really watch YT much but a few weeks ago I was checking out Just a Pancake's Kingdom Hearts videos. Also my name spelled backward is

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:33 pm

Well, you know. NormalBoots and HiddenBlock are fun. I still like AVGN and all. DawnSomewhere hasn't done a new gaming series recently, but I love their old ones. Tyrannicon's a champ. OneyPlays is really, really funny (their OoT videos killed me). Gaming Garbage is hilarious, though I must admit I liked it better back when Shmorky was onboard.

Achievement Hunter's still the favourite. I love their dynamic, their rivalry with Funhaus and all. Kind of quit watching their Minecraft LPs when Sky Factory started up, but the GTAV biz is still great. Anyone watch Hate Tunnel? That thing went way off the chain, homey.
boo----------------the furious little monkey

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:05 pm

I subscribe to several, but I pass over most of their videos. I mostly just look out for interesting news or the first episode of a game I might like. Many of them focus on the tycoon/management/sim/strategy type games I like, so it's a good way to discover new games, and they are entertaining to watch. I usually watch or at least listen to James & Mike Mondays and AVGN, Gameranx and The Know Friday shows, and anything from Gaming Historian and Feniks. And sometimes Pewdiepie if he counts as gaming.

Cinemassacre
Feniks Gaming
Gameranx
Gaming Historian
KatherineOfSky
Pewdiepie
quill18
SidAlpha
Skye Storm
The Know
Now I know there's a reason you shouldn't blame others when you do something wrong, and that reason is: you might get caught and have to apologize to a bunch of dumb peasants.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:59 pm

Most of the stuff I watch on YT seem to be archived streams. My go-tos are Vinesauce (mainly Vinny and Joel), TheRunawayGuys (chuggaaconroy, NintendoCapriSun, and Proton Jon), and Versus (AttackingTucans and JoshJepson). I also sift through the Games Done Quick and RPG Limit Break archives occasionally.

I always like to have some noise on in the background. I might check out some of the channels in this thread.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:59 pm

I mostly watch stuff on Twitch these days but the main channels I always go back to are Grumps and Yogscast.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Random User

Post by Random User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:27 am

I don't watch a lot of gaming content on Youtube anymore, though lately I've enjoyed the content put out by Wilburger and RTGame. I haven't watched him in a while, but General Sam is also one of my go-to's for game content as well.

Oh yeah, and whenever Matthewmatosis puts out a video, I'm on it asap, but his content takes a bit more time to produce.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:33 am

i've moved away from a lot of gaming channels except pannenkoek2012 because cmon thats just good content
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilink » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:41 am

The majority of gaming-related content that I consume isn’t on YouTube (Giant Bomb and Retronauts are my main guys, and almost entirely in podcast-form. I do have a few gaming YT channels I check out somewhat regularly: Jeremy Parish, Pannenkoek12, GRSmash, Last Stock Legends, and a few others here and there.

What I do go to YouTube for is video game music cover artists. My favorites are insaneintherain, FamilyJules7x, Meine Meinung, 8-Bit Music Theory (not a cover artist but very much music-focused), TPR, Smooth McGroove, PPF, and Mariachi Entertainment System.

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:51 pm

Mostly Game Theory, Smooth McGroove, and Birgirpall. The latter two are pretty much dead channels now, if not at least hibernating. I used to watch Trainer Tips, but I stopped when I quit Pokémon Go for a while, and didn't get back into the channel when I picked the game back up.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:26 pm

^^I LOVE JULES THEY PLAYED AT MY FIRST MAGFEST AND AUUUGGHGHHHG

Squeege's niece loves Smooth McGroove.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:38 pm

I only really watch/listen to Game Grumps. I listen to them while doing tedious, boring tasks at my job that would otherwise suck my soul.

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:24 am

Even though I said YouTube, feel free to mention gaming videos or reviews on other platforms.

Some of you guys reminded me of some other channels I like. Gaming Historian, Game Theory. Also, unmentioned thus far, Snoman Gaming and Adam Koralick.

mushroom

Re: Gaming channels on YouTube, or just the internet in general.

Post by mushroom » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:28 am

I really like Replay Burners, which is a really big collection of high level arcade replays in high quality.

Random User

Post by Random User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:55 am

Oh shoot, yeah, I do also watch a decent amount of Gaming Historian ever since it was posted here to VGF.

If we're expanding our sphere to the entire internet, then I also watch a lot from the streamers at Vinesauce, and of course, from a few of you guys here, on Twitch.

Sonic 5

Post by Sonic 5 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:25 pm

A few small gaming YouTubers I like:
  • ScottTheWoz
  • Billiam
  • NitroRad
I also really like Super Best Friends Play. They're more of an LP channel than the others, which are primarily editorials.

I also used to really like JordanUnderneath, but he does short films (not related to gaming) now and deleted all his old videos. You can find re-uploads of his gaming videos, but he doesn't want them on the Internet, so if that whole "going against the creator's wishes" thing is important to you...

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:54 pm

Another great channel - Metal Jesus Rocks. His channel mostly centers around collecting, and he has a general "crew" of friends who he features. Ultimately, I like how friendly his channel is. Not a lot of negativity, even though they do occasionally discuss things they don't like.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”